Prepin
Log in

Your biggest client is vocally pushing for a new feature that isn't included in your planned roadmap. In their enthusiasm to satisfy the client, the Sales team has approached Engineering directly to request that they halt their current projects to accommodate this request. How do you respond?

Approach / Explanation

This question seeks to evaluate your leadership, decision-making, and prioritization skills in a high-stress environment involving developers, sales teams, and customers. The interviewers are interested in your strategy for managing conflicting demands from various stakeholders while adhering to an established roadmap. Important aspects to consider when responding to this question: Recognizing the significance and potential benefits of the proposed feature. Engaging with all pertinent stakeholders to address and discuss the issue. Reaching a final decision after thoroughly analyzing development resources, the product roadmap, and customer expectations.

Suggested Answer

In this scenario, my first step would be to grasp the urgency and advantages of the feature that both the sales team and the customer are requesting. Since the largest customer is advocating for this feature, it must carry significant importance. However, making a rushed decision could negatively impact the entire project. Subsequently, I would organize a meeting with stakeholders from engineering, sales, and product management to assess the feasibility of development, the potential effect on sales, and how it aligns with our long-term product roadmap. If the feature aligns with our product vision and provides substantial value to our users without disrupting the roadmap, I would consider adjusting our priorities. On the other hand, if it threatens our current roadmap and resources, I would adhere to our existing plan and explain the rationale behind our decision to the customer, while also offering alternative solutions if feasible. This approach helps us maintain strong customer relationships and ensures transparency.

Alternative Answer

If I encountered this situation, my initial step would be to gather detailed insights from the sales team regarding the customer's insistence on this feature and its perceived value. It's essential to assess the benefit quantitatively—does it merely cater to the largest client, or could it also be advantageous for a broader customer base? Next, I would engage key leadership stakeholders, including heads of product, sales, and engineering, for a discussion to provide a well-rounded perspective on the situation. This would enable us to evaluate and brainstorm the advantages and disadvantages of adding this feature versus adhering to the current roadmap. If we collectively determine that the feature is worthwhile despite potential disruptions, I would collaborate closely with the product and engineering teams to revise our roadmap, ensuring that crucial feature developments remain prioritized. However, if we reach the conclusion that it would do more harm than good based on our assessment of costs, time, workforce, and other ongoing projects, I would advise the sales team to communicate this professionally to the customer. It's important to highlight our commitment to meeting customer needs without compromising our overall product development strategy.

Question Details

Difficulty & Category

Medium
execution

Companies

Google

Product

For CandidatesFor RecruitersCompaniesBrowse JobsInterview QuestionsDeep ProfileSkill AssessmentOpportunity Matching
Prepin.ai

© 2026 Prepin LLC · Philadelphia, PA · All rights reserved.